Executive Head Chef, Jamian Lewis walks you through how to make quick and easy, healthy and delicious crushed banana and strawberry yoghurt American style pancakes in 7 simple steps
Crushed banana and strawberry yoghurt (American style) pancakes
This is a simple dish that is nutritious and most importantly, delicious!
Our Executive Head Chef, Jamian Lewis has made a video to demonstrate how to prepare and cook this simple dish. However, you can find the written method and the ingredients you need below.
"This twist on classic American style pancakes is a great way to use up overripe bananas and leftover yoghurt. The spottier the banana, the sweeter they are, so there is no need to add in any extra sugar!
This is a winner with children and a great way to incorporate fruit in to their diet and it’s also fun getting them involved with the cooking too!"
As the current Covid-19 pandemic has made it a bit harder to get to the shops, if you don’t have all the ingredients in your cupboard, you can substitute them for what you do have. For example, if you don't have any bananas, try substituting it for other soft fruits, such as peaches or plums.
Be creative and don’t be scared to try new things!
Ingredients (Serves 4):
4 ripe bananas
2 x eggs
160g strawberry yoghurt
150g self-raising flour
1 tsp of baking powder
A little oil for frying
For the garnish:
Icing sugar (optional)
- Peel the bananas and crush them with a fork or potato masher in a mixing bowl
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl, spoon in 1 third of the yoghurt and whisk together
- Pour the egg and yoghurt mixture into the bananas and combine, sieve in the flour and baking powder and beat together with a whisk to make a batter
- Leave the mix to stand for 25 minutes at room temperature (the mix will appear lumpy, but don’t worry these lumps of bananas will add texture)
- Brush a frying pan with a little oil and place on medium heat. Spoon in your pancake mix a little at a time and leave to gently cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Using a spatula, carefully turn them over and continue to cook them for 2-3 minutes (they will puff up and rise slightly)
- Remove the pancakes from the heat and arrange them on a plate, garnishing with strawberries and the remaining yoghurt
- Sprinkle icing sugar over the top and enjoy!
Click here to find out more about our food and where we source our produce from...
- Tags: Food